Monday, February 16, 2015

Crocheting...It's Not Just for Afghans, Scarves and Doilies

As long as I can remember, my Mother always had a crochet project or ten by her side.  She was extremely talented and I like to think I got my creativity from her.  She made so many beautiful things!!  Unfortunately, she passed away long before I became interesting in crochet so I didn't get the opportunity to learn from her.  But, I believe her being gone is what made me all the more motivated to learn the craft and carry on her legacy.

I taught myself how to crochet back in 2010 and, once I got the hang of it and passed the frustration stage(s), I fell in love.  Since then, I've made a few lap-ghans (my attention span is not long enough to make a full afghan), a lot of scarves but...never a doily.  My most favorite crochet items to make are not necessarily the most traditional.  Over the holidays I made a TON of 100% cotton, eco-friendly dishcloths...they were definitely my most popular gift item.  I also make a spa line consisting of soap savers, spa cloths, face scrubbies, and reusable cotton rounds...which are all absolutely fantastic if I do say so myself!  I am always looking for more sustainable/eco-friendly products so I even crochet myself a reusable Swiffer WetJet pad.

Lately, in between projects for myself,  I've been working on earrings made from vintage thread I found in a thrift store.  I must say, I'm thrilled with the way they have been turning out.  However, I do find myself wondering why these supplies ended up being donated in the first place.  Maybe the person just gave up on the project or maybe the owner passed away before they were able to finish.  Whatever the reason, it makes me feel good to be able to, in a way, finish it for them. Whether it be how they intended or not, I am making those discarded supplies into something fabulous.

So, a big thank you to my Mom is in order for, along with a million other things, introducing me to the world of crochet and passing on her talent and passion to create beautiful things by example.

I work very hard and am extremely proud of all of my creations and I know she would be proud of me and my accomplishments too  :)


Please visit DMDesigns to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment